This site is meant to facilitate the upward flow of information to help our elected officials stay in touch with those they represent. Also as a means to help us (the voters) help our leaders lead.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Politics is Not best Done by Phonies



Politics is Personnel 

I was driving and listening to the car radio. I was channel surfing and saw with dread that the only station left had Glen Beck on. As I pushed that button and started listening I was pleased he had a guest host on and the guest was really great. He wasn’t talking all pie in the sky Conservatism and Religiousness is next to Self Righteousness but instead he was delving into more factual things. He wasn’t lecturing me and telling me what to believe in. Any way I was content to listen. 

 Then I became intrigued. Beck’s host talked about hearing Tucker Carlson interview Mike Rowe.



I had liked the show “Dirty Jobs” and I remembered the host Mike Rowe so I kept listening. I really liked what Mike had to tell Tucker.

That got me digging, Mike Rowe seemed to be talking common sense and I wanted to hear more. I started googling and found that he has a foundation. mikerowesWORKSfoundation

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/foundation/

Wow. Profoundly disconnected. What a turn of a phrase. I kept reading.

Quotes from his foundation web page. “…a public charity that rewards people with a passion to get trained for skilled jobs that actually exist.” “…the country’s dysfunctional relationship with work,”

This is stuff my friends and I have been saying and thinking about for a long time. Here was somebody actually doing something about it.

Next is a You Tube of Mike reading from his preface to his book. If you have the gigs it is worth the read. He captures the job in a narrative picture as close to the real thing as I can imagine. (I would say as close as I would ever want to imagine LOL) 

Near the end he talked about how in his life he had lost his connection to honest work and how he had become not mindful of the miracles of modern plumbing or food production or modern manufacturing because he didn’t have a personal relationship with the people who produced such things. He admitted in effect that he had become a phony and it took wallowing around in the sewer before he realized it. I’m glad he did as otherwise his show would not have lasted 8 years. 

And he wouldn't have learned what he did to tell us his wisdom now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL0k1L4404P4-53v3I7f5RlTT0YMOlqPbn&v=pXXrrjSeBpM

Don’t I myself tend to look down on or relegate to old news the enormous amount of work needed to produce light every time I simply flip a switch? Could this whole immigration thing have at its root such a simple thing as our inability to do manual labor anymore? Notice I say our inability not our unwillingness to do manual labor. We are constantly taught from early school on that Americans are no longer willing to do physical labor. I agree with Mike Rowe, we as a society have become spoiled.

Spoiled is not an un-correctable malady. Some friends and I started an inner city garden in the "hood" back in the day and we saved out two raised beds for the kids attending summer class across the street. They first turned up their noses but soon began to love the idea of walking across the street to garden to get their hands dirty to do and be a part of something they did themselves. 

There is a contentment on finds in physical labor, a sense of accomplishment in seeing what you’ve done. A sense of purpose is accomplished through new skills learned and above all a sense of self-worth that cannot be taught with books and talking but by the doing.

What is the problem with a county evolving from doers to one of thinkers and talkers? Isn’t it nice, isn’t it progress to have all these labor saving devices? Isn’t that the American Dream? Do nothing and become rich?

Maybe now it is, but what made this country great was the work ethic. And the lack of that ethic is what is rotting the foundation upon which all else is built. It may not have been going out to the barn every morning to milk the cows that made America great, but without making the connection of getting up at 5am every morning to do it in the winter in a snow storm do you really think someone would have had the motivation to invent the automatic milking machine?  What would be the point?

The real thing here is that we invent or come up with easier ways because they are easier for us the one doing the work. As we lose connection with work do we not also lose the ability to make work easier?

From another source

http://tribunist.com/news/mike-rowe-finally-weighs-in-on-trumps-victory-hillarys-supporters-wont-like-this/

Mike Rowe said the following about the 8 year run of his hit show “Dirty Jobs” and why Trump was able to win the election. “But here’s the thing – Dirty Jobs didn’t resonate because the host was incredibly charming. It wasn’t a hit because it was gross, or irreverent, or funny, or silly, or smart, or terribly clever. Dirty Jobs succeeded because it was authentic. It spoke directly and candidly to a big chunk of the country that non-fiction networks had been completely ignoring. In a very simple way, Dirty Jobs said “Hey – we can see you,” to millions of regular people who had started to feel invisible. Ultimately, that’s why Dirty Jobs ran for eight seasons. And today, that’s also why Donald Trump is the President of the United States.”

Sure we all give lip service to the work ethic and the “dirty jobs” out there, but how often do we actually connect with people who provide those “miracles”? I think it time I start to show some respect for those letting me turn on my lights. Two nights ago my power went out. Luckily it was just before dark. I quickly found some candles and lit them. Well I soon realized how “spoiled” I was. Everything I do in the evening depends on electricity. My TV my computer, my videos and reading. Man by the time I read 10 pages my eyes were aching and I had a stiff neck from holding the book just right to capture enough light from the candle to read and then craning my neck in such a way as to read the page.

Nor is it a matter of the rich not respecting the poor or the working class vs the rich. It is a question of caring vs not caring. Donald Trump is a Billionaire, richer than Hillary but the voters connected with Trump because he simply said “we see you”.  He directly went to where they lived and saw them.  Notice he didn’t fawn over them and make them feel bad so he could offer them free stuff. No he simply went and visited them. He didn’t lecture them. He simply connected the way people do by a smile and an openness and above all being honest.  He was authentic. If there is one thing the public knows to look out for, it's a phony.  They've had plenty of experience.

Mike Rowe wasn’t – Neither was Donald Trump



Regards, Bob Carr
Live Dangerously, Tell the Truth
glhotdogs513@gmail.com
231-728-3455

No comments:

COUNTER