This site is meant to facilitate the upward flow of information to help our elected officials stay in touch with those they represent. Also as a means to help us (the voters) help our leaders lead.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Morning Thoughts

Sunday Reflections – The Day Of

Today as I reflect on the things I’ve done the last couple of years and the mish mash of eclectic things I have tried to accomplish; one thing kept coming to mind.

Nothing I did made headlines and while I admit that headlines would have made me feel good; it would have been in the end counterproductive.

What I realized was that big events or stories that erupt into banner headlines are made up of all sorts of smaller events of every type. I realized also that these small efforts can build upon each other and create the ground swell for the type of events that garner headlines. Knowing that I was a part of the smaller events brought me comfort this day - this Sunday.

This reverie brought to my mind the whole idea of blogging, and some of my old internet haunts. One of which was Libertas which had closed down last summer.

-----link-----
http://www.libertasfilmmagazine.com/
--------------

I had followed and blogged about this site a couple of years ago as being part of the effort to take the conservative message and introduce it back into the main stream "pop" culture. In this case the movie industry. Libertas tried to provide a platform for conservative actors producers and directors to give vent to being black balled from the news outlets and the movie industry itself. Libertas would highlight those efforts and try to help sell them once produced. I, in my little local way highlighted them at the time and their movie selections.

Libertas struggled, shut down for awhile. They, as I did must have felt they had little effect. I see now they have reemerged in a sharper, brighter, and glossier format. The link above tells of the new movie Salt staring Angela Jolie. Below that is an article about the movie being made based on the classic Ayn Rand book “Atlas Shrugged”.

Also different actors have come out of the closet and proclaimed their “Conservativeness”. What was responsible for this? Not one thing, but as a friend always reminds me about the book Glenn Reynolds wrote called an Army of Davids, a lot of people and ideas and events are making it possible.

The point I’m trying to get to here is that small steps matter. The plethora of small ideas and efforts put forth by an "Army of Davids" against the Goliath that is Government has had huge effect. Through the Alternative Media of the internet these small steps by different people are exposed to the “Free Market Place of Ideas” and through the free choice of the public the best ideas survive and have a chance to flourish.

Conservative always seem to win the argument on paper. We have enough reams of paper devoted to the conservative message to repopulate six Brazilian rain forests. The problem is, nobody reads that anymore.

Andrew Breitbart was the first person I heard actually talk of taking the conservative message and putting it into the Pop Culture. Andrew took the old saying “a picture’s worth a thousand words mixed it with the internet and video and started making headway in the pop culture of the news media. People had for years written lengthy exposes about the corruption in non profits and nobody listened. When Breitbart built his platform “Big Government” for people to tell the same story with video; everyone took notice.

James O’Keefe and Hanna Giles took advantage of that platform and were able to take down ACORN with some video on YouTube.

-----link-----
http://biggovernment.com/tag/acorn-prostitution/
--------------

So as I relax finally and get a chance to blog this Sunday morning, I’ll give thanks that I am able to do those small things which added to everyone else’s may do some good in the world. Although I wonder how buying the remaining 400 prizes for a flag giveaway or transplanting a tomato plant will change the world – I will continue to believe it will therefore I’ll do it.

Besides, some things are just worth doing. And as John Wayne might say about reflections and that already it's almost noon -- "We’re burning daylight."

Regards, Live Dangerously Be A Conservative

No comments:

COUNTER